What Up

My photo
The Dance's travel full-time in an RV with Foxie, Willie, D.K. and Chukar. See Back Page for more...

Monday, June 17, 2013

Another likely story 2013.06.17

We are in our seventh week here in Likely, California. The workamping ad stated "must enjoy solitude" and we weren't really sure we "enjoyed" solitude. It means not being around many people right? Well I know I don't care for being around a LOT of people and I think Bob has daydreamed of going off into the wilderness to live off the land so it was a case of let's try and see what happens... 

In addition to Don and Dixie we have met Karen, a neighbor and fellow walker, and Gustavo, a friend of the two D's who sells eggs and honey and works at the ranch in Jess Valley. The UPS guy introduced himself and let us know he lives in Jess Valley too. That's about it so far. Here's a look at how we spend our time.

On one of my short walks around the ranch I found these guys...
An American Bullfrog
Frog legs anyone?
He's looking at me!

Recently we spent the afternoon at the park (on the ranch)... No fish yet.
Bob fishing the Pit River
I love these "feet" pictures
Willie
The gang
Love taking pictures just to take pictures!
The pond on a calm day

The hardest part for Bob, I think, has been learning his job. Not to mention it is a bit more challenging physically than he expected. It's easy to wonder what could he possibly be required to do for 22+ hours every week and why would it be difficult to learn, so I'll try to list a few things for you.

Irrigate, irrigate, IRRIGATE! Weed-whack, mow and mow! I don't believe Bob has ever done so much weed whacking! He also uses a walk-behind mower and on the easy days he uses the riding mower. On the plus side he's very happy with the condition of the equipment he uses. After a month and a half, he is finally working most of the time on his own, having won the owner's approval. (We think...)
Senor Bob
The hardest part for me was the unacceptable level of Internet access. It took a while for me to realize that the existing equipment wasn't going to cut it. I contacted Howard of RV-Dreams.com because he has posted tons of information on this (which I mostly ignored; I didn't have a problem then!). I took his advice and purchased a Wilson trucker antenna, a Wilson Sleek 4G-V booster cradle and various accessories to hook it all together. And now I am happy, happy, HAPPY!

Here's a picture showing the antenna...
WOW the color was really something!
Same night but looking east...
On our way back from town one day this is what we encountered...
A cattle drive
Moms and babies
Making the turn
Like something straight out of a Western
WE.
ARE.
IN.
CATTLE COUNTRY! 
Ranches all around. Interspersed in between are what I think are the wanna-be spreads. Folks that have a piece of land for whatever reason, no cattle, maybe a few horses, but enjoy the very low population density. 

We seem to be enjoying the very low density as well!

On the few hot days we've had, we are reminded it may get a bit warm here. So we've been adding some shade. Bob, surprisingly has been on board with this. Check out the makeshift sunscreen over the awning and the barely discernible shade off the left of the pop-up. 
My Riley is rubbing off on Bob!
I think we are settling in nicely...
A Gopher Snake
Saw our first rabbit a few days ago. So far they are on the other side of the ranch from us.  Something (an owl, maybe) has been raiding birds' nests. One morning we found two nests on the ground with four or five newborn chicks dead and a few eggs yet unhatched.

I think I would miss the social life more if I didn't have the companionship of our pets. The dogs hang out with me and keep company. So far so good! We haven't been disappointed!

Solitude...can be a good thing. 

5 comments:

  1. What a life you both have..not sure if we could handle all that. Sounds like you are doing very well at it but most likely you will be ready to move on when the time comes. Stay well...always thinking of you both.
    Love Mom & Leon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow love your update! I live vicariously thru you two! Love the pics! Beautiful! Enjoy! Beats foggy daly cityyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solitude is nice, but sometimes we just want to see others around you even if you are not interacting with them. Your pictures are great....I could see some enlarged and framed and a possibly selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photography!!! Sounds like you guys are adapting to the nomad life well. I'm glad toy settled into the work camping, gives you a purpose and a reason to get up and get going in the morning. All that walking, fishing, biking, sight-seeing, and other retirement activities would grow old after awhile. Besides, I just can't imagine you guys doing like the card of the two old men on the bench you gave me..." Whatch doin today"...Nuthin"...Thought you did that yesterday"..."I wasn't done"
    (everyone loves that card!!!)

    Beautiful Ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Atascadero!
    Sounds like you are having an interesting time! I have often dreamed of being in a isolated place and seeing how I would react to it. My gut tells me I'd like it but, I'm not sure for how long..maybe a couple of months. If I stayed 6 months like you two I might get cabin fever or like it so much that I might totally reject civilization. Hard to say, I've been in "public" businesses for so long that I might miss people more than I expect..I guess there is only one way to find out.
    We are slowly but surely moving forward on our plans to turn the house into a vacation rental. We are working on the RV pad this month (which we will occupy when the house is rented). Major limbs came off the oak tree today. 5 dump truck loads of dirt (60 yards) are coming next week to enlarge the pad. I'll be putting in some utilities at the same time. We are also putting up a 6ft wooden fence around the area to give us more privacy.
    We hope to be ready to start "renting" the house out by next summer. We figure it will take a year or so to build up enough clients so that we can cover a decent amount of the mortgage and get on the road (but still have a home base). Keep us in mind when the "Likely" gig is up..we are going to need some help and should have a good rv pad by then.
    We just got back from a 2 weeker in the Sierras. The next major trip is the Balloon Fest in New Mexico. I have added a second solar panel and 2 more 6volts so it will be fun to test our improved dry camping abilities!
    Best Regards, John and Shaun

    ReplyDelete

When in doubt, sign in as Anonymous, but sign your name after your comment so I know who commented. :-)